NATIONAL SAFE ROUTES “WALK TO SCHOOL DAY” RETURNS THIS 16th OCTOBER 2019 IN WILLOW GLEN
On Wednesday 16 October 2018 at 7:00 a.m., students, parents, and teachers will meet together in celebrating “Walk to School Day”. A morning reception will be hosted before we continue to our respective schools. Meet at the Bank of America Parking Lot on Lincoln Avenue (1245 Lincoln Ave, San Jose, CA 95125).
The program and events are free of cost to all the participants.
Participating schools include Willow Glen Elementary School; River Glen K-8 Two-Way Immersion School; Ernesto Galarza Elementary; Hammer Montessori School, and others.
Stakeholders for a Safe Green Village sponsors and organizes our annual National Safe Routes to School “Walk to School Day”. Co-sponsors include Willow Glen Neighborhood Association – WGNA and other groups.
Seasonally, every year, Walk to School Day returns in the autumn, and Bike to School month returns in the spring (usually May).
Through the year, and as part of the celebrations, students at our elementary schools receive bicycles, helmets, and razor scooters.
Join children & adults around the world to celebrate the benefits of walking:
- Encouraging a child’s next stage of independence
- Physical activity
- Teaching safe pedestrian & bicycling skills to children
- Awareness of how walkable & bikeable community improvements can be made
- Concern for the environment Reducing traffic congestion, pollution & speed near schools
- Sharing time with community leaders, parents & children
- Creating joy and fun!
- Promoting psychological well-being and alertness
- Fostering maturation and responsibility
- Creating habits of activity, empowerment and thinking differently
Several students in the various Willow Glen Schools also received free tickets and were invited on the field for the kickoff of the June 9th, 2018 game — San Jose Earthquakes vs. Los Angeles Football Club — at Avaya Stadium, San Jose, CA.
Co-sponsors for our neighborhood “Walk & Bike to School” programs include: